Hello dear readers! I’m writing today to ask for thoughts and advice. I want to go abroad next month to play the WCOOP, and I’m thinking of going somewhere other than Canada. Nico and his flatmate Soeren have actually invited me to stay with them in London, and as much as that sounds fun (and free), I don’t think WCOOP is the best time to do it. I have little confidence in my ability to shift on to a nocturnal schedule, and the tournaments simply start too late in the day for me in any European time zone. Not to mention that the temptation to hang out with them might lead to my not playing my best. When I go for a series like this, I really aim just to immerse myself in poker and have very little in the way of distraction or temptation around.
In past years I’ve traveled to Montreal and really enjoyed that, but this year I’ll be flying to San Francisco after the series is over, so I’m tempted to take advantage of the opportunity to go somewhere new, possibly in Mexico or South America. I’d be very appreciative for any suggestions for specific places I should consider. Things I’m looking for:
1. Extremely reliable internet connection. Having 24-hour internet cafe(s) available as a back-up is nice as well (this came up once in Montreal).
2. Good time zone. The US East Coast (GMT -5) time zone is good enough, but Mountain (GMT -7) is probably ideal for me, and Pacific (GMT -8) is pretty good too. I think this rules out everything but North and South America.
3. High-volume, nitcast-approved short-term rental market.
4. Comfortable, pleasant surroundings. I’d like to be somewhere where just sitting outside or walking around my immediate neighborhood for an hour before or after a session is a pleasant and interesting thing to do. A place on the beach would be pretty sweet!
5. Convenient access to groceries and take-out. I want to be able to focus on poker and not have it be a hassle to meet my basic needs. I believe I can muster Spanish reasonable enough to accomplish these basic tasks, if necessary.
Obviously I need to make a decision on this pretty soon, just wondering if there are some non-obvious options out there I should consider. Please tell me if you know of a spot!